Sunday 12 August 2018

MY JOURNEY INTO THE WORLD OF WRITING-XVI

Is a village a unique entity?

Is it a geographical unit, or is it just a notional entity?

Does it have a soul of its own?

Does it represent the collective souls of its inhabitants?

***

TheVillage was my first experiment in the supernatural genre.

The story narrates the unusual experience of a husband and wife who take shelter in a rural guesthouse on a storm-hit night when their car breaks down on a highway.

To tell you the truth, when I started, I just had a vague and hazy idea of what I wanted to convey, no concrete or definite storyline. As I cogitated on the idea for quite some time, I found threads of the storyline, which developed into a well-defined narrative with characters, scenes, backdrops, and the final climax to the suspense. I took great care not to reveal even hints of the end, revealing the suspense at the very end of the story. It was well received and I was happy that I handled the new genre well.

The main aspects of this genre that I realised were creating a plausible ambience to the story, the essence of the suspense and maintaining it till the very end (or the most appropriate moment before, as is done in many cases). This bare scaffolding must be propped up with credible characters, short scenes, crisp dialogues, a fast-paced narration, effective imagery, and creating the super natural atmosphere by not saying too much at any given stage until the end.

I haven’t, deliberately, gone into details of this story since I want you to read and enjoy it.




***

No comments:

Post a Comment